8 October 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

After seeing and hearing a lot about a book that I'd never heard of last year, I decided to see what the fuss was all about. 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' quickly became a strong favourite of mine and earned a well-deserved place on my bookshelf rather than in the drawer under my bed. It's extremely difficult to explain how reading this book makes you feel, you feel happy, sad, nostalgic, in love. I think it's one of those stories which just somehow stay with you. When I heard that it was going to be developed into a film, I'm guessing I wasn't the only one, but I was worried. From my own recollection I'm pretty sure there and then, without knowing much more, I refused to see it when it was released. Now, curiosity killed the cat and everything; I couldn't help but keep myself up to date with the film's development. I had a big shock when I found out that Stephen Chbosky, the author, was also going to be writing the screenplay and directing the film version and immediately took back what I'd said about refusing to see it. I was interested to see how he could transfer his writing to the screen, and I was relieved to know then that however the characters and events were portrayed, whether that was how I saw them in my head, was how Stephen Chbosky wanted them to be seen. After what seemed like forever, I finally got to see the film last week, and I was far from being disappointed. I knew from the opening credits that the feeling you get from reading the book wasn't going to be lost. Visually it looked absolutely amazing and although I knew the story so well, I was hooked again and again, just like every time I read the book. If you've read the book, or if you haven't, I would definitely recommend the film.

6 comments:

  1. I was the same as you didn't want to see it till I saw who was directing it. I left the cinema a little disappointed still though especially at the end when the quote was changed to 'and in this moment I swear we are infinite' rather than the book version 'and in that moment I swear we were infinite'. Such a minor change but it's my favourite quote from the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that too! I thought it was weird they changed it ever so slightly when it's probably one of the most memorable quotes from it. I think he did a good job overall though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah i was the same, i didn't want to watch the film and spoil the story for myself! i agree with samantha above i hated that they changed the quote at the end but apart from that i really enjoyed it, actually shed a tear at it too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies on the late reply! I agree, that was the only thing I couldn't understand! Haha, I was on the sniffly side when I came out of the cinema!! xxx

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to read the book, it's going on my christmas list now! x

    srslylou.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is wonderful, one of my favourites! I hope you enjoy it :) xxx

      Delete